Thursday, February 26, 2015


KESARI


This dessert or 'sweet dish' as we Indians call it, was taught to me by my teacher of Embryology and Fish Biology in the University, Mrs Prema Michael or Mem as I lovingly call her. Mem is a big influence in my life, and though I wasn't exactly the 'star' student, she and I bonded instantly and keep in touch till date. I remember visiting her one balmy March evening and she made this while I watched. We then carried it outside to her garden ate it while watching the sun go down and have dusk surround us. 
Mem lives in Madurai now, and though she has invited me to visit several times, I have not been able to make it. I hope to, someday soon. I remember our good times together Mem, and hold the memories close to my heart. And every time I make Kesari, I think of you.
















1/2 cup ghee or butter
2 cups suji
1/2 cup rasins ans kaju
1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 drops food color of choice

The suji in this recipe is not roasted.

Fry the rasins and kaju in ghee/butter. Add milk and food color and bring to a boil. Add suji while stirring.
Stir constantly and add sugar.
After the milk is soaked, pour out in a flat dish and cut into chunks.
Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. it tase gud mama,.....and thanks for everything for what you have done to us....may god bless u and ya family..hope we meet again..n i am happy to be ya student ....and u r like my mother to me... thnkz mama bye gud9

    ReplyDelete