Monday, January 12, 2015

Pork with bamboo shoots (Naga Style)
This prep is a hit with my boys! The pork has to be of good quality, preferably the pork belly. Of course the best pork in Shillong comes from Mawlai, which my husband buys sometimes. I have also bought good pork from Lailynkot and Smit. The bamboo shoot, I buy fresh from Nongpoh. I personally cut, slice and store the shoots in large bottles and stock them for the year. I go easy on the bamboo vinegar and wash the shoots with a little water before cooking to cut down on the smell. 


100 gms of fermented bamboo shoots
5 cloves of garlic
1 " of ginger
5 green chilies
Mustard Oil
3 onions
1 kg of pork
2 potatoes
1 raja mircha (sliced)
Salt to taste

Grind the garlic and ginger to a paste. Peel and chop the onions. Cut the potatoes into 8 pieces. Slit the green chilies into half. Clean and wash the pork. Put 1tbsp of the Mustard Oil, about ½ tbsp of salt,1 tbsp of the ginger and garlic paste in a bowl and mix well. Put the pork in the marinade mixture and leave aside.
Heat 2 tbsp mustard oil in medium flame on a pressure cooker. Once, the oil is heated, gently put in the chopped onions and stir fry till it browns up a bit. And then add the remaining ginger and garlic paste. Stir fry until the mixture turns light brown. Add the raja mirchas, green chilies, and bamboo shoots and stir fry for about 3 minutes.
Add the marinated pork and stir. Cover, but don’t close the lid, and cook for 3 minutes. Then, turn the meat with a spoon or spatula. Add the cut potato pieces and stir again. Now add about a glass of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Let it whistle for about 2-3  times before you turn off the flame.Serve with steaming rice

5 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog while searching for a pork recipe to use my newly acquired Naga chillies, and have been enjoying reading it a lot!

    I noticed that you mention the Inframatic in your bio... My mom had it too and I still remember some delicious stuff coming out of that thing! Unfortunately my parents moved and the booklet was lost along the way... Wondering if you still have it, or the cookbook / booklet that came with it?

    Anyway - just thought I'd ask... Every once in a while I dream about something we made in it as kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      My parents too lost the booklet and I too am looking for someone who still has it. I only know one more family that has an inframatic but they have shifted to Jaipur. But I still plan on asking them. I know....that booklet had so many recipes!!!!! Will let u know if I get it. Thanks for liking my blog. Do follow if you wish to. :)

      Delete
    2. I have the booklet!!! Finally!!! Do you want a copy?

      Delete